Assessment is integral to the Core Curriculum. The CRC requires that all courses certified for the Core include a clear statement of the Core Curriculum goal(s) on the syllabus and a plan for assessing student achievement of the specified Core learning goal(s). These assessment plans are reviewed by the CRC before a course is recommended to the full faculty for certification as meeting a Core Curriculum requirement. As assessment is built into the structure of Core courses, the CRC expects these assessments will be conducted every time that the Core course is offered.
The CRC asks departments for formal assessment reports on all Core certified courses in a cycle of 3 year intervals such that each year the CRC reviews assessment reports from a third of the departments. View the pdf Core Assessment Reporting Cycle (292 KB) .
Due dates for Core assessment reports:
- Summer session (as of AY 2017-18) - by October 1
- Fall semester - before February 1
- Winter session - by March 1
- Spring semester - no later than June 1
These assessment reports are intended to:
- compile systematic evidence that students are achieving the Core Curriculum goals;
- identify gaps between the aspirations of the course and actual student achievement; and
- provide a trigger for modification or department review of the course and its appropriateness for the Core.
WEB-BASED REPORTING OF CORE GOAL ASSESSMENT RESULTS
Core Assessment Reports - STEP-by-STEP Instructions: ( pdf PDF (3.84 MB) )