SAS Department and Program Assessment
The SAS faculty Assessment Committee, along with the SAS Dean's office, oversees department based assessment of learning goals for specific majors and minors. Guidance in developing assessment plans is available in Developing a Program Assessment Plan and from the SAS Assistant Dean for Assessment.
The SAS departments' programmatic learning goals are available on SAS and department web pages and in the official catalog. Departments submit annual assessment reports on or before June 15th that include:
- the learning goals for their major(s) and/or minor(s)
- the strategy or site for student achievement of these learning goal(s)
- a description of least one direct measure of student learning outcomes, and the benchmarks for these; a summary of the results of the assessment(s); and
- planned or implemented changes in light of the results, as well as a projected timeline for the follow-up re-assessment of student outcomes on the goal(s).
The departmental reports are reviewed in the Dean's office and by the SAS Assessment Committee. The Committee prepares individual reviews of each department's assessment report noting "strengths," "points of concern," and "suggestions for moving forward." In reviewing department plans, the Committee is guided by the University's Assessment Checklist for Academic Programs. Throughout the year, the SAS Dean's office assists departments in designing, implementing, interpreting, and improving their assessment efforts. In the annual report on the state of assessment in SAS prepared for the Executive Dean and the University's Executive Council on Assessment, SAS uses the ECA checklist to assess its own progress in advancing assessment and uses the results to improve its own support for assessment.
- Best Practice Examples, SAS Departments
- Best Practice Tips
- Assessment Resources
- Menu of Assessment Tools
- Developing a Program Assessment Plan (PowerPoint slides)
- SAS Program Assessment Report (FORM)
- Sakai Archive, SAS Program Assessment Reports (authorized users only)