Rubrics for Core Goals
The Core Requirements Committee (CRC) has developed rubrics for each of the Core learning goals – click the links below.
These rubrics are designed at a level of generality that allows them to be used to assess achievement of Core Curriculum goals in many different disciplines and across many different iterations of a course.
Each rubric includes criteria for scoring that provide substantive definitions for each level of student performance on the goal.
To facilitate faculty use of rubrics for Core and other learning goals assessment, SAS OUE partnered with OIRT to develop a pdf rubric tool in Sakai which is pre-populated with the pdf Core Rubrics . This can be customized to add course-specific criteria. Detailed instructions about using this tool are in the HELP section in Sakai.
Faculty may also use rubrics as a guide in identifying a set of objective test questions that are directly relevant to the Core goal, and then specify the percent of those questions that must be answered correctly for each level of student achievement: for example, the instructor may decide that getting 79%-70% correct is "satisfactory."
The CRC also has developed an spreadsheet Excel tool that allows faculty to easily tag objective test questions from Scantron Excel reports, or other such sources, and calculate the number of students at each performance level: for the Excel template, click HERE.
- pdf Rubrics for Core Curriculum Learning Goals - ALL (552 KB)
- pdf Rubrics for Contemporary Challenges Goals [CC] (410 KB)
- pdf Rubrics for Natural Sciences Goals [NS] (400 KB)
- pdf Rubrics for Historical Analysis Goals [HST] (95 KB)
- pdf Rubrics for Social Analysis Goals [SCL] (96 KB)
- pdf Rubrics for Arts and Humanities Goals [AHo, AHp, AHq, AHr] (419 KB)
- pdf Rubrics for Writing and Communication Goals [WCr, WCd] (110 KB)
- pdf Rubrics for Quantitative and Formal Reasoning Goals [QQ, QR] (110 KB)
Rubrics for Information Technology and Research Goals [ITR]
- Using Rubrics in Sakai
- Excel template tool for objective test questions
- pdf Bibliography, Core Rubrics