Student complaints about grades are treated in the University Policies and Procedures section of the New Brunswick Undergraduate Catalog, in Student Complaints About Grades. It reads as follows:

Students wishing to file a complaint about a course grade, or a grade received for a particular piece of work in a course, should first attempt to resolve the matter through discussion with the instructor. If the issue cannot be satisfactorily resolved between student and instructor, the student may specify in writing the basis for the complaint and request a review by the departmental chair. A written complaint about a grade for work completed while the course is in progress must be submitted to the departmental chair no later than two weeks after notification of the grade. A student must submit a written complaint about a final course grade to the departmental chair [SAS Undergraduate Chair] no later than four weeks after the end of the exam period for that semester.

A student who wishes to appeal the decision of the department should appeal in writing to the office of the dean of the faculty offering the course. Written notification of the action taken by either the chair or by the dean will be sent to the student within four weeks of the filing of the appeal, excluding those weeks in which classes are not in regular session.

* Please note: Some academic programs have special procedures for grade appeals.

Only courses beginning with the "01:" code will be reviewed through the process on this page, and the New Brunswick SAS Office of Undergraduate Education. If your course begins with another code, please contact the corresponding school or campus in which the course was offered.

Students who contact the Dean's office before following the procedure of contacting the instructor and then the department will be referred back to the instructor or department, where the most informed resolution of such matters is typically available.

For a Chemistry course please visit their grade appeals page for more information.

For grade appeals for Writing Program (01:355:XXX and 01:356:XXX) courses, please visit the Writing Program website for more information on the process and the grade appeal form.

For grade appeals for Mathematics courses, students should contact the Math Department ombudsperson.

For more information, see:

All appeals, at the department and the decanal level, should contain the following information:

• The course number and section, semester, and instructor’s name

• An explanation of the grounds for the appeal

• A copy of the course syllabus and any other course information on the assignment or grading in question

• The materials at issue – the graded exam or assignment

• Upload any and all email or other written exchange you have had with the instructor and/or department about the issue. This should include the full unredacted decision letter of the department official you appealed to--usually the undergraduate chair/director (or in the case of Mathematics the ombudsperson).

If a student in an SAS course has followed the grade appeal procedure through the steps of discussion with the instructor and with the department or program, and still wishes to appeal to the office of the Dean of the Faculty, the student should submit their grade appeal using the on-line form found here:

SAS Grade Appeal Form

These submissions will be reviewed by or Sharon Bzostek, Senior Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education, SAS or Kristen Syrett Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education, SAS.

Non-Discrimination Policy

Student claims that the assignment of the grade was, in part or in full, attributable to discrimination, should write directly to Susan Lawrence, Vice Dean for Undergraduate Education who will provide the student with a copy of the nondiscrimination policy. The Vice Dean will refer the student to the Office of Employment Equity and will should the Office of Employment Equity directly about the complaint. Alternately, the student may write directly to the Office of Employment Equity

Student assertions or complaints that a grade or other academic decision was the result of discrimination, harassment or retaliation, such allegations are not reviewed as part of a school’s grade grievance process, even if asserted at a later stage during a pending grade appeal. The Office of Employment Equity (OEE) is responsible for enforcing the University’s policies prohibiting discrimination, harassment and retaliation (including Policies 60.1.12 and 60.1.28), which extend to adverse academic decisions, such as the issuance of a negative grade in an assignment or course. If the assertion is made after the grade appeal process has begun, action on the grade appeal will be suspended until the OEE completes its investigation concerning the discrimination allegation.

Additional information on the policies and procedures enforced by the Office of Employment Equity is available at You also may contact Lisa Grosskreutz, Director of the Office of Employment Equity, at or (848) 932-3973.